Ongoing Training: For one afternoon per month we focus on clinical and staff development and training, and during this time the surgery will be closed. If you require medical assistance during this time please dial NHS 111.



The surgery works closely with West Cumbria Carers and Gillian the support worker - if you would like more information, please ask any member of the surgery team who can help you.


Improving your care

Health services in Furness are introducing 'shared records'. Shared records allow health professionals to share some limited information from your medical records with other health services that provide you with care. For more information please pick up a 'changes to your medical records' leaflet from the surgery. more information is also available at



How do I give feedback or make a complaint about an NHS service?

pdf  NHS complaints guidance leaflet

Waterloo House Surgery Complaints Procedure

If you wish to complain directly to the practice, please complete the above form and return it to the Practice Manager at the surgery address or email it to  

I’m not happy about something… I’d just like to say… How do I…?

  • Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
    Millbank Tower Millbank London
    SW1P 4QP
    Phone: 0345 015 4033

For public health services complaints, contact the Local Government Ombudsman


The NHS Constitution sets out your rights as a patient, and explains the commitments the NHS has made to providing you with a high quality service. Organisations providing NHS care must take account of the NHS Constitution when treating you, so you may find it helpful to refer to it if you are thinking about making a complaint.

Go to the-nhs-constitution-for-england  for details.

Useful contact details

To find the contact details for your local Healthwatch, see  or call Healthwatch England on 03000 683 000 Citizens advice Phone: 03444 111 444


Primary care complaints (for example, GPs, dentists)

Secondary care complaints (for example, hospitals)

To find information about your local clinical commissioning group, visit NHS Choices at  

Feedback: Many concerns can be resolved through giving feedback directly to the provider, such as a hospital or GP. You may also wish to provide feedback about what has worked well in your experience with the NHS

If you would like to make a complaint you can either go directly to the organisation that provided your care (the ‘provider’) or to the relevant organisation that bought the service you received (the ‘commissioner’)

Issue not resolved

You can refer your complaint to the ‘Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman’ for further investigation Yes No further action The NHS Feedback and Complaints Procedure *You may do either, or both 2903095_Complaints Guide.indd 1 02/03/2015 16:14 Most NHS care and treatment goes well but sometimes things can go wrong. If you are unhappy with your care or the services you have received, it is important to let us know so that we can improve. There are two ways to tell the NHS what you think: •

  • Give feedback
  • Make a complaint Giving feedback Feedback helps us improve the quality of your care. You can give good or bad feedback by telling the NHS organisation or service about it. For example, you can do this through the ‘Friends and Family Test’. Or, you can speak to a member of staff. Other ways to give feedback should be clearly displayed at the service you visit. If you are unhappy with an NHS service, it is worthwhile discussing your concerns early on with the provider of the service, as they may be able to sort the issue out quickly. Most problems can be dealt with at this stage but, in some cases, you may feel more comfortable speaking to someone not directly involved in your care. How to complain When making a complaint, you can choose to complain to either of the following. The healthcare provider. This is the organisation where you received the NHS service, for example your hospital, GP surgery or dental surgery. Or The commissioner. This is the organisation that paid for the service or care you received. This will vary depending on the NHS service you are complaining about.
  • If your complaint is about primary care services such as GPs, dentists, opticians or pharmacy services, contact NHS England. • If your complaint is about services such as hospital care, mental health services, out-ofhours services and community services such as district nursing, contact your local clinical commissioning group.
  • If your complaint is about public health organisations (those who provide services which prevent disease, promote health and prolong life), contact your local authority. Complaining to the commissioner may be the right option if you are not comfortable complaining direct to your healthcare provider, or you feel this is not appropriate. Making your complaint You can complain in writing, by email or by speaking to someone in the organisation. You should make your complaint within 12 months of the incident, or within 12 months of the matter coming to your attention. This time limit can sometimes be extended as long as it is still possible to investigate your complaint. Anyone can complain, including young people. A family member, carer, friend, or your local MP, can complain on your behalf with your permission. What can I expect if I complain? You should: • have your complaint acknowledged and properly looked into; • be kept informed of progress and told the outcome; • be treated fairly, politely and with respect;
  • be sure that your care and treatment will not be affected as a result of making a complaint;
  • be offered the opportunity to discuss the complaint with a complaints manager; and
  • expect appropriate action to be taken following your complaint. I would like support to make my complaint Making a complaint can seem difficult, but support is available. Below are some of the services that can help you.
  • Contact your local council or local Healthwatch to find out about independent NHS complaints advocacy services in your area.
  • Contact your local citizens advice bureau for support with complaints about the NHS, social services or local authorities.
  • Most hospitals have a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), who provide confidential advice, support and information to patients, their families and carers. Contact the hospital or visit their website for more details. Unhappy with the outcome of your complaint? If you are still not happy with the response provided, you can ask the independent Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to look at your complaint. 2903095_Complaints Guide.indd 2 02/03/2015 16:14

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website